Cloud Native Applications
A container-ready application is also known as being cloud native and should abide by the guidelines in the The Twelve-Factor App.
All container-ready applications should minimally contain the following code instrumentations:
- Liveness checks
- Readiness checks
- Application metrics
- Centralised logging
- Distributed tracing
- Understand code instrumentations in a cloud native application
- Have a big-picture view of what else is around a container
- Understand what health checks mean
- Understand why centralised logs are important
- Understand why distributed tracing is important
- Be able to discover an errored-out request using alerts, metrics, trace IDs and logs.
- Docker Compose
Activity 1: Trace the Error
Click here to access Activity 1.
Click here to move on to Application Containerisation.
References & Further Reading
- The Twelve-Factor App
- Pattern: Microservice chassis